cluster of notes

Specifically about Encore music notation software

Moderators: John Miller, Hotch

Re: cluster of notes

Postby ronpietrantoni » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:43 am

Denkster wrote:I suppose your settings did not change themselves, secretly, in the meantime?
You never know with Windows.. :?

Indeed. <wry g> I've discovered that my little trick is not permanent - every time you close Music Time (and, I assume, Encore), the settings revert to their default. So, for the moment, you have to reset the affinity every time you open the program.

I sure hope some skillful Windows geek at GVox dedicates his/her full attention to this show stopper soon!

I've done a little research: there's apparently a way to make the affinity change permanent involving typing in command prompts directly - which scares the beejebus out of me, so I've enlisted the help of our IT guy at church. Unfortunately, he's only part-time and often has bigger fish to fry than a problem for which I already have work-arounds. Once we've tried it, I'll let you all know the results.
ronpietrantoni

Postby Meryl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 am

Hi Eveline. No - settings were the same. I have since tried changing the CPU to 0 rather than 2 which I had been using but it makes no difference. I don't get the note cluster all the time and I can key in quite a lot for a while. Often the cluster happens after I've been typing in ok for a page or 2 and then stop to look at the music and as I restart the note cluster happens. I have to quit Encore and go back in but then I have to go through the whole Task Manager, set affinity, set priority thing each time which is a real nuisance!

Meryl
Meryl

Postby acote » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 am

If you don't want to have to set the affinity each time you use Encore, you should have a look at this page:

http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/cpu-affinity-made-easy-67317.html
Last edited by acote on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acote

Postby jinglebelle17 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Still getting the glob cluster of notes too. Darn. Gvox, please pick up this ball!
jinglebelle17

Postby ronpietrantoni » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 am

I hate to hand in my 'genius' card, but maybe we don't have the same problem. I had gotten to where I could reproduce the cluster at will, so I assumed that I knew what was the trouble. (no clue what was causing it, as I'm not a computer geek) Anytime I played my MIDI keyboard while MTD (sorry, I don't actually have Encore; YMMV) was open but not in step-entry mode, the first time I tried to play a note after re-entering step mode, it would happen - and the size of the cluster was directly proportional to how much I played out of step mode. It was as if something in the software was saving up all the notes I was playing while I was trying to figure out a bit of whatever piece I was transcribing and then spit them all out at once as soon as I re-activated step-time. I have no idea if this was actually occurring, but it describes the behavior perfectly.

After discovering the affinity thing at home in Windows 7, I wondered if the same solution might solve my cluster problem at work with XP (I never had a cluster problem with W7 as my problem there was that I couldn't get any notes to show at all!), as it also was a dual-core processor. Sure enough, when I reset the Priority and Affinity, I could go in and out of step-enter with no clusters. Later on, when I tried again, the clusters came back - but that's when I discovered that XP wouldn't remember the P/A settings. As long as I remembered to reset those each time I open MTD, things seem fine.

I'll have a real acid test later today, when I'll be writing out a horn arrangement - I'll keep everyone posted.
ronpietrantoni

Postby Meryl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:25 pm

I used the link http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-t ... 67317.html posted by acote. I had to make a small change which was to include the "Title" parameter in the start command as it seemed to need it (Windows 7).

In brief what I did was to create a shortcut on the desktop to Encore.exe, edited its properties and changed the target field to

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "Encore 5" /AFFINITY 1 /HIGH "C:\Program Files\GVOX\Encore 5\Encore.exe"

Then I pinned the shortcut to the start menu so I can click on this there to start Encore with the Affinity and Priority set.

These settings solved the problem of Encore giving up after 5 notes or so being input but has created the cluster of notes problem instead :). At least this means I don't have to keep changing the Affinity and Priority every time I have to quit out of Encore when I get the cluster of notes and it doesn't respond which is now happening at times.

Meryl
Meryl

Postby ronpietrantoni » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 pm

That's exactly what I did, only I needed to rename MusicTime Deluxe to something without a space in it for it to work (obviously, Encore doesn't have that trouble). I haven't tried actually transcribing a song; I usually do that at work. However, I assumed that I would still have the ability to when I upgraded to Windows 7 at home and I did not until a few days ago, when I discovered the affinity trick. For all I know, I'll get note clusters, too - but I've had that at work for so long now (and discovered last night that it's still a problem in XP, even after changing the affinity and priority) that I'm just happy I got my MIDI keyboard to work in MTD at all - I'm used to the cluster problem and am now just stupid careful every time I need to step enter anything. I have found that, if I catch it the first time and hit 'undo', that I can work steadily for quite a while - as long as I don't leave step-enter mode and hit notes on the keyboard. I can enter a few measures of notes, leave and add lyrics and come back to do more melody with no problem - but if I stop and plunk a few notes out to make sure I have them right, I get a cluster the very next step-entered note. I might need to enter eight eighth notes in a row, but I'll only enter one, hit undo and then go about my merry way.

It sucks, but it sucks less than buying and learning new software. <wry g>
ronpietrantoni

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:09 pm

I just got Encore 5.02 this week, and noticed this cluster problem immediately. I use Encore on an XP computer with no option to set "affinity". There does however seem to be a way for me to avoid the clusters. They always appear when leaving cursor mode and starting step entry. I found that before leaving cursor mode, playing any note on my keyboard will keep the clusters from appearing when step entry is chosen right after playing the note.
Tony

Postby jinglebelle17 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks so much. I will give this a try. The alternative it tearing out all my hair. Thank you for this idea and your response. Much appreciate it.
Jeanni
jinglebelle17

Postby ronpietrantoni » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Tony, I don't follow you - doing what you describe is exactly how I get note clusters! If I'm in cursor mode, as long as I don't hit the MIDI keyboard, I can go back and forth to step mode just fine.
ronpietrantoni

Postby Tony » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Ron, it looks like our computer setups work differently. While in step-entry mode, I frequently make mistakes, and have to enter cursor mode to to reposition the cursor. I get the clusters when resuming step entry, and then playing my midi keyboard. That is, unless I first play a note while still in cursor mode. Then it seems that I can resume step-entry with no problem.

Go figure. At least I hope the Encore program developers are. I am pretty much ignoring Encore 5 and using 4.5 until they send me a fixed copy.
Tony

Postby ronpietrantoni » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Tony wrote:Ron, it looks like our computer setups work differently. While in step-entry mode, I frequently make mistakes, and have to enter cursor mode to to reposition the cursor. I get the clusters when resuming step entry, and then playing my midi keyboard. That is, unless I first play a note while still in cursor mode. Then it seems that I can resume step-entry with no problem.

Go figure. At least I hope the Encore program developers are. I am pretty much ignoring Encore 5 and using 4.5 until they send me a fixed copy.

Yeah, I feel you. I got MusicTime Deluxe 4.0 in hopes it would solve some MIDI issues my new (at the time) XP box was having with my old Roland A-37 controller. I decided moving forward was best, so I simply started developing work-arounds for all the annoyances.

Our setups apparently aren't that different, after all! After reading your post, I had to transcribe three songs for work, needing melody and harmony parts, so I tried your suggesion: whenever I was about to step-enter notes again, regardless of what I was doing before, I would play one single note on my current controller (M-Audio Keystation 88) just before clicking the note value, and almost every time that prevented the clusters! I had a cluster show up once, in four hours of work - which was probably a mental error. I couldn't remember what I was doing just before it and it never happened again.

You now retain the genius card, sir! <bg>
ronpietrantoni

Postby jinglebelle17 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Another problem: Step entry stops working in the middle of a song. Thanks to Tony and Ron's genius I can mostly avoid glob clusters of notes (by hitting a note on the music keyboard before choosing note value, which is annoying but now almost natural :( BUT, after a while, say 30+ measures of step entry, it stops working. Meaning, the note value shows up, but when I hit the keyboard nothing is entered. As the option at that point is to click a line or space on the staff for each note (grrr) I end up closing the program and restarting. Which seems to fix the problem, but this is just wrong. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you, Jeanni
jinglebelle17

Postby Hotch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 am

This problem was fixed in version 5.0.3, build 703. If you are still having difficulties, please let us know by filing a support ticket, http://www.gvox.com/contact_gvox
Best regards,

Richard Hotchkiss
CEO, Gvox
103 Carnegie Center
Ste 300
Princeton NJ 08540

PO Box 7401
Princeton, NJ 08543
(732) 565-3842
(732) 284-3748 Fax

http://www.gvox.com

bring music to life
Hotch

Postby klogue » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:04 pm

I've got 5.0.3 Build 746, and I have both of these problems--step Entry note clusters and step entry failing after some use. I haven't been able to get any of the workarounds mentioned above to work reliably. The only fix for step entry ceasing to function is to restart Encore.
klogue

Previous

Return to Encore