Can I change the number of Staves in a piece?

Specifically about Encore music notation software

Moderators: John Miller, Hotch

Can I change the number of Staves in a piece?

Postby marc@marcbernier.com » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Is it possible to change the number of Staves (or parts) within a piece? For instance; Can I start a piece in 4 part harmony, change to 2 or 3 parts, go back to 4, and then end in unison? And do this without my having staves of rests all over the piece.

Thank You
Marc Bernier
marc@marcbernier.com

Re: Can I change the number of Staves in a piece?

Postby anaigeon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi,

I'd suggest to begin with the maximum number of staves (for instance 4), and then View/Hide Staves will do the job.
Before entering this function, you have to select staves in one or several systems by clicking in the left margin.
Core Duo 2.4 MHz - 2 GB -o- Win XP SP3 -o- Encore 4.5.5
Soundblaster XFi Pro -o- Motu symphonic instrument
Gem JP76 keyboard
anaigeon

Postby commnthings » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Dear marc,

The easiest way is to create the piece with all the desired staves, then enter the music on the staves desired. Then, when everything is entered, highlight the staves you DO NOT WISH TO SEE and click 'View | Hide Staves'. The unwanted staves will disappear.

When that is done you'll probably want to change the number of systems per page to arrange things neatly. If you want some or all of them back visible for any reason, highlight the systems you want expanded and click 'View | Show Staves'. ALL the staves for those systems will appear.

You may have too fiddle with things a bit to get them the way you want. Try to have ALL the format editing (i.e. number of measures per system, etc.) finished before hiding the staves and changing Systems per Page.

Looks like anaigeon was replying at the same time! Bonjour, Alain!

Regards,

Bob
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
Encore 5.0.3.746 Win, Windows 7 Pro (7 Home on laptop, XP on an old desktop).
Been using Encore (Rhapsody, Passport) since 1992
commnthings

Postby marc@marcbernier.com » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for both your replies. I knew it had to be possible, clearly was just not seeing the obvious.
marc@marcbernier.com

Return to Encore